Sep 22, 2022
Cumbria Development Education Centre (CDEC) and Furness Multicultural Community Forum (FMCF) have developed CPD sessions for teachers and workshop sessions for pupils on the theme of refugees, people seeking asylum and migration. All of the sessions being offered have been funded through the Cumbria Community Foundation and Awards for All.
The aim is to provide teachers with information about refugees, people seeking asylum and migration as well as resources you can use in your classrooms.
Outcomes of the session:
- Explore what the terms ‘refugee’ and ‘asylum seeker’ mean, within the context of ‘migration’
- People seeking asylum in Cumbria- who are they, the reasons that they have made their journey
- Hear from some refugees about their experiences- of leaving their homes and living in Cumbria
- Build confidence and knowledge to prepare us as we support all our children and families
- Explore resources you can use in school to support children from Reception through to KS3
We will provide links to a Padlet resource where you’ll be able to access a range of resources and ideas to build into your classroom.
We have set 3 dates for the delivery of this workshop session to teachers - choose from the options below.
Tuesday 4th October // 4pm - 5.30pm (zoom) // Book here
Thursday 10th November // 4pm - 5.30pm (zoom) // Book here
Thursday 16th February // 4pm - 5.30pm (zoom) // Book here
email email@example.com for more information
Workshops with pupils:
CDEC and FMCF have also developed a series of workshops for pupils, ranging in length from 1 to 2.5 hours. The aim is to provide an opportunity for pupils to engage with some of the themes and concepts of welcome, community, belonging, home and how they can help to make your school a place of welcome.
The topics include:
- What is the difference between a refugee and person seeking asylum
- Reasons for migrating
- Being a global citizen
- Student leadership- taking action to make my school a place of welcome
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the session with your pupils and to set dates