Explore the real-life stories of Cumbrians who have moved here from outside the UK.
This session will help you to understand more about migration and refugees, and ourselves in order to feel more confident about working towards a welcoming and safe environment for all.
Aims of the course:
- Provide a meaningful context to learning about migration with the use of engaging, contemporary mixed media resources created from migration stories to Cumbria.
- Build your confidence in helping pupils understand their role in a globally-interdependent world, and develop a more empathetic awareness of the implications of being a global citizen
- Help you critically engage with and reflect on the 'big ideas' around the issue of migration.
By the end of the course you will:
- be able to explore the concept of diversity, identity and community cohesion through contemporary stories about migration
- understand more about migration (its history, patterns and statistics) in order to feel more confident about introducing it to your lessons
- be able to acknowledge the human and personal dimension of migration and critically engage with existing narratives with regards to migration
- have started to explore your own attitudes and behaviour towards migration and migrants, and reflect upon your own citizenship.