Experience tried and tested learning and resources from our Sankofa transnational storytelling project; an experience that has combined traditional storytelling techniques with digital technologies.
You will explore the themes of migration, gender, biodiversity, climate change and will link them to the Sustainable Development Goals. This will all be done within the context of the storytelling process.
Why should I come along?
- Develop your understanding of storytelling as an art and skill that can be explicitly taught to empower pupils, capturing their creativity and developing a range of global citizenship skills.
- Become more confident in supporting children to think critically about local to global themes.
- Enrich your Language primary curriculum, particularly through speaking and listening, drama opportunities and vocabulary enrichment.
- Understand how the storytelling methodology can be used effectively in geography, history, arts and for PSHE.
- Expand your confidence in PSHE by learning how to build self-confidence, creativity and presentation skills and IT skills amongst your pupils.
The course also links with the new Ofsted Framework, specifically to help you provide a ‘Quality education’: exploring traditional stories will develop understanding of heritage and Cultural capital; and the abilities you gain will help developing critical thinking skills vital for your pupils to flourish in a globalised world.
It also enriches language, vocabulary and reading skills and develops additional communication opportunities and confidence particularly for disadvantaged children.
The Sankofa methodology can be integrated in to many subject areas to be part of a robust and imaginative curriculum; it motivates children while developing digital and media skills.
Where’s it being held?
We are next running this course alongside Yarlside Teaching School Alliance, Barrow-in-Furness.
Date: 11 March, 1-4pm
Alternatively, get in touch with us to book your whole school or cluster group training.
How do I book?
Visit Yarlside's website here. If you have any questions, do give us a call. See you soon!